Recent Posts

Gallery

Comics

vinyl

Interviews

recent

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Steven Smith (Interview) (CLICK HERE TO READ)


I recently had the chance to interview VJ Steven Smith (Fuse/Steven's Untitled Rock Show). Click above to check it out.

First off thanks for the interview.
You're very welcome.

IMX filmed at street level and fans could watch the artists from the windows during filming. Was there ever any crazy TRL-like fandom for any of the artists who stopped by?
Yes, the first time Taking Back Sunday stopped by it was like Beatlemania. The same thing happened for Linkin Park, Eminem, and Avenged Sevenfold. It was always fun to see fans go crazy. I think Daniel Radcliffe was the best. Soooo many people.


Throughout all of the different shows and specials you have done so far, what was the craziest experience or the best experience when you realized this is the right job for me?
I kind of always knew this was what I wanted to do, even when I didn't know it. I've always been interested in talking with people, sharing and conversing. I like the talk show format and finding a way to get interesting stories out of people without being intrusive. As for best experience, when you have an interview where everything just clicks you know it's right. My favorite of last year was with Brad Paisley. We just talked and halfway through he asked when the interview was starting. That's how I like things to go. No inhibitions, no on the spot questions, just hanging.


If you could ask anyone one question, what would it be?
What time is it. My favorite question ever. And nobody has a problem answering. I'm also a big fan of "What's new?" Catches people off guard in a good way and sets the tone.


Your biography on Fuse mentions such interviews as when you were "kissed by Gwen Stefani...was wacked in the privates by Marilyn Manson, downloaded tracks with Metallica...and talked rock with Hollywood heavy-hitters such as...Sir Ben Kingsley." Which of these experiences resonates with you the most?
The nut whacking resonated for a good two minutes. I also liked talking with Manson. He's a smart dude who gets where he is in the pop culture pantheon. Basically just a dude who likes wearing make-up. And absinthe. The man likes his absinthe.


You served as executive producer on Steven's Untitled Rock Show. What was the difference in working behind the scenes as well as interviewing? Would you like to do more behind the scenes work in the future?
I really enjoyed producing but mainly what I did was come up with ideas and have my team implement them. The whole battle with producing is hiring people who are waaaay smarter and more experienced than you. My producer and writer were top notch and I knew I was always in good hands.
I like behind the scenes but my home is in front of the camera.


You sung background on Paramore's album. First, what was it like to be asked to sing on the album? Second, what other band would you love to sing with or be involved in the process of their album?
It was terrifying! I am not a singer! Not in the slightest. They surprised me by asking and I was honored and horrified to do so.
That was it for me. I'm a host not a rock star.


The Foo Fighters canceled all of their press for a day besides Steven's Untitled Rock Show. Unfortunately, some bands are not what they seem. Do you have an experience where it was difficult to work with a band?
Luckily for me those instances are few and far between.
Most people are really cool. And artists are smart, they have their managers or labels be the bad guys.
I would have that too. A lot of journalists like to ask questions that have nothing to do with their music or movie or whatever and to me, that's not the point.


When talking about alternative music and mainstream music now you said, "There really is no underground anymore." What do you think is next for music?
The internet. We're already there. I sincerely hope Myspace becomes what record labels used to be but on a more community based level.
The record industry attacked fans for sharing music when they should have evolved with the new technology and not scapegoated the very people who paid their salaries.

About underground music, can you remember any particular artist that you were excited to get through the old ways of tape-trading?
Tape-trading is a weird thing. We used to use it for bootlegs. It was a big Grateful Dead phenomena and I really only got one cassette through tape-trading.
It was a bootleg of the first time I saw Jawbreaker. I still have it. As far as tape-trading goes all we ever did growing up was trade cassettes of albums we had.
We didn't have the money for all the music so everyone would share what they had. Which is legal by the way. If I buy an album, make a copy of it and give it to that's totally within the law.
But if I sell it to you, that's illegal and thus not sharing.


How do you feel about the way people discover music now? Do you think it has changed for the better or worse?
People still discover bands by word of mouth. They always have and always will. Now the mouth is online and you can find out about bands and listen to them immediately.
I heard about this band the Menzingers from the Gaslight Anthem's twitter posts and I can't get enough of them. It's definitely gotten better as you can hear new music with the click of a button.


In my opinion, Carson Daly was probably one of the biggest VJs of the 90s and you were arguably one of the biggest VJs of the last ten years. Did you ever think this would happen when you started out? Do you think you will ever reach
Riki Rachtman’s status?
You're very kind to say so. You're forgetting Damien Fahey who took over for Carson on TRL. I never think of myself as huge, as a matter of fact, I feel like I'm just starting out. I had a great following on SURS which I feel was cut off in it's prime but that's how those things go. As for Riki Rachtman status, he and I used to have the same manager if you believe that. He hosted Headbanger's Ball. My show was way more 120 Minutes.


During the time of Steven’s Untitled Rock Show many styles went in and out, which is common in music. What did you think of the style of music during the show and what do you think about it now?
Which style in particular? Emo? SURS played a lot of that but we also showcased many indie bands, indie meaning independent label, which went on to become huge stars. I liked to think we were multi-genre playing roots rock to screamo to metal and sometimes folk. I don't think styles come and go but I do think trends do. It's hard for bands to stay together despite their style. That's half the battle.

You were the first person to interview Taking Back Sunday on national television and at that time it was the Tell All Your Friends line-up. You’ve interviewed them quite a few times throughout the years, what do you think about the Tell All Your Friends line-up getting back together?
That's a tough question, I really like the Tell All Your Friends line-up and love that album. Having said that I feel the strongest song-writing was with Fred Mascherino and Matt Rubano. Matt co-wrote "Makedamnsure" which is their biggest hit while Fred really upped the musicianship of the band.
I am curious to hear what will come of this new album.

What is one thing people do not know about Steven Smith?
I like ballet dancing. True.


I guess that about wraps it up. Thanks again for taking the time to answer the questions.
You're very welcome. Thanks for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business

[Interviews][txmag]
https:://www.facebook.com/soundinthesignals >> ADD LINK >> https://www.twitter.com/bake_wear >> ADD LINK >>
| Copyright © 2015 Sound In The Signals | All Rights Reserved. | Design